About Me

Saturday, August 1, 2015

Circle of Life in a Scottish Thistle

The Scottish Thistle is a common weed and grows almost everywhere in the world, but this one was very close to Vancouver airport.  I was surprised by the amount of Scottish heritage evident in Canada, (the part we saw anyway - British Columbia, Alberta, and the Yukon), and I thought I would link the two together.  Then I got thinking, why is the thistle, a prickly weed,  a symbol of Scotland?

The website visitscotland.com gave me my answer and I have copied and pasted the following from that website.

The thistle may only be a humble weed, but it is the emblem of the Scottish nation. The prickly-leaved, pink or purple-flowered ‘Scotch’ thistle is, along with tartan, perhaps the most identifiable symbol of all things Scottish. But how did the thistle earn its place in the heart of the Scots?
In truth, no-one knows, but legend has it that a sleeping party of Scots warriors were saved from ambush by an invading Norse army when one of the attackers trod on a thistle with his bare feet. His cries raised the alarm, the roused Scots duly defeated the invaders, and the thistle was adopted as the symbol of Scotland. Unfortunately, there is no historical evidence for this, but Scots, like other nations, love a good story.
I like that buds, flowers and seedheads are all together here. (Circle of Life)


No comments:

Post a Comment