|The pohutukawa trees has lots of buds which are probably starting to open by now.|
Sunday, December 7, 2014
Duke of Marlborough Hotel, Russell, Bay of Islands
The Duke of Marlborough Hotel holds New Zealand's Number 1 liquor licence dated July 1840, although this is the fourth hotel on this site. Earlier ones were sacked or burnt. The present building was shifted here in 1931 from Cable Bay, near Mangonui, Northland where it had been part of the Cable Station that linked New Zealand and Australia. The first licensee, a John Johnson, was a time-expired convict, who established a grog shop here in 1827.